Sunday, March 04, 2007

Heart Need Healing? Get A Load Of Jill Cunniff's 'City Beach'.


It troubles me that dead souls like Ann 'The Man' Coulter still have the power to hurt my feelings. As you may or may not know, she more or less called Democratic Presidential Candidate Jonathan Edwards a faggot, much to the delight of a roomful of neo-cons, and the resultant press coverage has clued me into the fact that a simple juvenile epithet such as 'faggot' still merits the subverted approval of the status quo. As a gay man I'm left to stew in my juices and marinate in self-pitying tuneage.

Jill Cunniff is balm in gilead for all that nonsense.

God knows I love Arcade Fire (more about 'Neon Bible' later...I'm still absorbing it, processing it, crying to it, cursing it...) but sometimes the heart just needs to unwind and throb without scrutiny or judgement and thats precisely what Luscious Jackson's Jill Cunniff allows for with her new Italian ice taste-treat, 'City Beach'. Clearly she's a healing creature and god bless her for that. All she wants to do is love us up like she's Mexico with some sweet, summertime lopey beats and gently psychedelic mind-diddling. It's like really good foreplay: Such a breath of fresh air as opposed to all the rampant dance-floor hating (sorry Lily Allen...I dig you but you do need to lighten the fuck up, you're like twelve or something after all).

I recommend 'City Beach' with a full heart. It's a reason to get out of bed and set yourself up with some Lucky Charms and jelly toast during these drowsy-grey, late-winter days of black slush and big city hater-ade.

2 comments:

Martin said...

Thanks, man. I love this Jill Cunniff album. I didn't know it existed, for I am old. I love love love the Kostars album.

Lake Shore Drive, Apartment 3. I listen to that over and over. I must live there.

In the grand scheme of things, hair doesn't matter.

Joe Schraufnagel said...

It's true, hair doesn't matter...but AM radio nuggets like 'My Love Is Alive' do matter which is why jukebox d.j.s around the world should forge a new frontier that violates all laws of hipness.

Naturally, Rolling Stone judged 'City Beach' to be one star short of Fall Out Boy's high quality but what're you gonna do.